Monday, January 11, 2010

30 Days of Touching

Day 8: Removing Obstacles

Today, I wore a sweater with sleeves that extend beyond my fingertips. The arms are belled and have a fringed edge. (Groovy, right?) I like the sweater, but it bugged me how often I had to roll the sleeves up and down to get anything done. When I washed my hands, put my arm in my coat, or typed on my computer, I first had to roll up my sleeves to get them out of the way. This necessity made me realize how wonderful it is to have hands and fingers with which to touch. Rolling up and rolling down would be impossible without my dexterous digits!

I also thought about how, before I can make progress in other areas of my life, I often have to remove obstacles in the way. My sleeves, though perhaps clever fashion, just don’t work when it comes to doing normal chores. Too much stuff, too much planned, too much on my mind gets in the way of being fruitful and living life to its fullest. The writer of Hebrews speaks of it this way: "let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up"in order to live purposefully. (Hebrews 12:1)

Here are some questions for spiritual direction:

  • What is getting in the way of me accomplishing my dreams and desires?
  • How can I remove this hindrance?
  • What do I spend too much time fussing with?

No comments: