Friday, November 20, 2009

30 Days of Seeing

Day 29

“The wind blows wherever it pleases….”

The sun came out today—a welcomed sight after a few days of rain and dull skies. I took a walk with a friend. At the end of our stroll, we sat on a raised platform, looking out over an expansive field of tall grasses. I scanned the scenery and watched the heads of grass move as the wind swirled between the strands. I noticed how only some of the grasses of the field moved at once. Small sections of stalks circled with the wind.

The sight reminded me of these words of Jesus, speaking of the Holy Spirit: “The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going." (John 3:8) The Holy Spirit moves as she pleases. You sometimes see the evidence, the stirring, but there is still an element of mystery as to how the Spirit moves and works.

As I call to mind the tall grasses moving in the wind, I think about God's autonomy and mystery. That prompts me to sit back and watch, rather than try and figure out or manipulate the wind.

Where are you seeing the Spirit blow these days? Where are the grasses swirling?

No comments: