Wednesday, November 18, 2009

30 Days of Seeing

Day 27

We are nearing the end of 30 Days of Seeing and I have a confession to make. This has been harder than I expected. It hasn’t been easy each day to single out a profound or instructive sight. I think it's because I use my sight all day and consequently, I don’t always isolate my vision and really look at something with earnest. Continual use wears down my sensitivity to the unique, subtle and notable.

The days that I am intentional and choose to look at something, I am more successful in being aware of God through the sense of sight and what I see. Otherwise, a whole day can go by and I look back and don’t recall a single moment when I “looked”—really “looked.” I will have seen a lot, but nothing truly registered as significant.

The best part of today’s experiment was seeing my grandson, Eli. I laid him on a blanket on the floor and lay next to him while we made faces. Yes, I cooed all those grandma sounds and Eli cooed back. I loved watching him kick his legs, gyrate his arms and form his mouth in a circle trying to vocalize. I studied his face to know it better and he studied mine. I told him that I would be there for him to help him grow up and become a big boy. He gave me the raspberries in return.

Even though this experiment with seeing has had its challenges, you wouldn't know it when I look at Eli. When I am with him, it’s almost impossible for me to stop looking at him. When I do, all the rest of life fades into the background and becomes a blur.

No comments: