Sunday, September 27, 2009

30 Days of Tasting

Day 14

Too much of a good thing. That’s how I would frame my experience of taste today. I feel full from eating too many sweets over the weekend. Apple pie yesterday. Birthday cake today. And ice cream tonight. Of course, no one forced me to eat all those desserts. Now, as I come to the close of my day, I feel bloated and ready for a fast from sugar.

In what way does my sugar-high relate to my spiritual life? Is it ever possible to experience “too much of a good thing” in my experience as a Christian? Do I ever feel “bloated” spiritually, like I need to fast?

You know when I feel that the most? About 2/3 of the way through most sermons. At about that point, I begin to feel waterlogged by the excessive amount of words. I notice, even during a really great message, that I start to lose interest, or feel overwhelmed or irritated by the abundance of words. I want the person to stop so that I can think and let what’s been said trickle down. That’s when I experience, “too much of a good thing.”

My soul longs for space, stillness and solitude. I wish for more thoughtful, reflective time in worship. I crave less words and time to ingest what I have been given. Often, though, I feel guilty admitting that I have had too much. So, I just keep coming back for more.

No comments: