Tuesday, September 15, 2009

30 Days of Tasting

Day 2

“So, I decided there is nothing better than to enjoy food and drink and to find satisfaction in work. Then I realized that these pleasures are from the hand of God. For who can eat or enjoy anything apart from him?” (Ecclesiastes 2:24, 25)

I read these verses this morning and thought about them on and off during Day 2 of my 30 Days of Tasting. It struck me that something as ordinary and routine as a meal really is a profound, inestimable blessing.

Today I ate three square ones—a veritable combination of grains, fruits, vegetables and meat. Where did they come from? Solomon, the writer of these verses, envisioned them delivered to me on a silver platter from the very hand of God.

This perspective certainly elevates the value of a meal from a commonplace, insignificant event to a sacred experience. What would happen if I had the imagination of Solomon and tasted every morsel as coming from the hand of God?

  • I would slow down and savor my food and drink.
  • I would be genuinely thankful for my daily bread when I pray and give thanks.
  • I would be content and find satisfaction in the simple pleasure of a meal.
  • I would truly enjoy the taste of food rather than eat pragmatically without noticing.
  • I would consider my table a sacred altar around which I gather and share meals with others.

No comments: