Tuesday, March 2, 2010

30 Days of Hearing

Day 2: Listening to our knowing heart

For the last couple of days, I’ve been spending a lot of time in my head. My mind has been over active, over analyzing things that I’m involved with in my work. I haven’t been able to settle my mind down. It’s exhausting.

Tilden Edwards from the Shalem Institute says that we can live out of our ego, our analytical mind or our knowing heart. I have been functioning from my analytical mind, for sure. All three are ways we think and the place from which we live our life. The ego drives us. The analytical mind sifts through life as we go. But the knowing heart leads us wisely.

This morning, aware of the voices in my head, I spent some time in centering prayer. Once my mind was calm, I listened to my heart. Once I did, I knew how to live.

If you feel like you are on an unrelenting mental treadmill, consider trying this:
• Take several cleansing breaths.
• Begin to focus your mind on seeking God in prayer.
• Any time a distracting thought enters your mind, sweep it away.
• Then return your attention to God and enjoy him.
• Finally, once your mind is calm, listen to what your heart is saying.
• Write down anything that comes to mind.

No comments: